Fitness Instructor Training
Upcoming Training Sessions
Pay Online for ATP & GFIT
Download Renewal Instructions
Instructors are required to renew their certificates every two years.
About Fitness Instructor Training
We offer a comprehensive Group Fitness Instructor Training (GFIT) program developed according to nationally recognized standards.
This weekend course will prepare participants to teach safe, effective fitness classes by incorporating the five components of health-related fitness. It will also assist in preparing individuals wishing to acquire the foundation knowledge to attempt a personal training certification.
Participants will learn the basic principles of:
- Basic Anatomy
- Exercise Physiology
- Class Components
- Safe/Effective Exercises
- Leadership Techniques
- Health Screenings/Legal Issues
- Nutrition/Weight Control
- Music & Choreography
- Instructor Training Manual (may be picked up the first day of training)
- Take-Home Exam
- Workouts/Sample Classes
What to Bring
- Colored pens/pencils and a Hi-Liter
- Copy of current CPR card (if available)
- Healthy snacks, Lunch, Dinner
- Pocket calculator
- Sweatshirt, Workout clothes
- Water bottle & Towel
Steps to Completion
- Attend the full training weekend program.
- Pass the take-home exam within one month of weekend training program.
- Complete 12-16 hours of practice teaching with Health Directions Apprenticeship Training Programs (ATPs) or mentor with an instructor of your choice and send in a completed Mentorship Completion Packet (87kB PDF)
- Provide copy of current adult CPR certification. Health Directions offers a 2-year CPR certification through the American Heart Association in conjunction with the GFIT program. Click here for more information.
- Successfully teach a one-hour fitness class by video review or on-site evaluation (This step is included in the Health Directions ATP workshop).
- NOTE: Participants have 6 months from date of weekend Group Fitness Instructor Training course to complete these requirements.
Monday prior to weekend of workshop.
A confirmation email including the final course agenda will be sent to all registered participants the Wednesday before the course begins.