Choosing the Right Facility
Important Questions to Ask
Before you trust your loved one's care to any nursing facility, there are several things you should take into account. Most notably, you should make sure that the facility meets your family member's specific wants and needs. Among the questions you may want to ask are:
- Does the facility meet your standards of cleanliness and overall attractiveness?
- Is the staff respectful of a patient's privacy and dignity?
- Are patients and their families encouraged to participate in developing their care plan?
- Are there services to meet the needs of terminally ill patients?
- Are there physicians available in case of emergencies?
- Is there regular medical attention?
- Is the facility associated with a nearby hospital?
- Does the facility have an active rehabilitation program?
- What types of group and individual activities are available?
- Is the facility committed to community involvement?
- Are there organized outside trips?