25 Years of Care
Certified Nurse Midwives (CNMs) are trained and experienced in prenatal, postpartum, routine gynecological, childbirth and normal newborn care. For the past 25 years, nurse midwives have provided women with excellent care at Lexington Medical Center, assisting women of all ages with their health care needs. Lexington Medical Center is the only hospital in the Midlands that offers this service.
A Certified Nurse Midwife:
- is a Registered Nurse (RN), nationally certified as a professional health care provider, who has met strict requirements set by the American College of Nurse Midwives as well as the Nurse Practice Act in South Carolina.
- offers primary care to women from adolescence through menopause.
- provides a continuum of care to assist women in developing and maintaining good health habits, from diet to exercise to stress management to parenting.
- is someone you can talk to, woman-to-woman.
- works to provide a birthing experience geared toward what you as an individual want, always doing what’s best to ensure the safe delivery of the baby and maintaining the health of the mom.
- conducts prenatal screenings for potential problems and advises you on steps you should take to help ensure all goes well during your pregnancy.
- works with you throughout your entire pregnancy, labor and delivery. Research shows that women with nurse midwives are less likely to have Caesarean sections or forcep births, although an obstetrician is always available for consultation, collaboration and/or referral.
- prescribes many medications you may need, such as antibiotics, hormone replacement and birth control pills.
- informs you about various methods of birth control, including the benefits and the risks.
- counsels you on premenopausal and menopausal symptoms you may experience.
- makes recommendations based on your health needs.
Trusted physical and emotional support during labor and delivery.
Feel at home while you focus on the wonder and joy of bringing new life into the world.
An affiliated practice dedicated to patient-focused obstetrics and gynecology services.