Preparing for Your Big Day
Find a Pediatrician
2 Months Before Your Due Date
- Prepare the nursery — wash baby clothes, etc.
- Plan for drivers and find the best travel route to the hospital. Make back-up plans as well.
- Buy an infant car seat and learn how it works.
1 Month Before Your Due Date
- Install your infant car seat in the car.
Pack Your Bag for the Hospital.
- Clothing for your hospital stay such as several nightgowns, a robe, slippers, nursing bras or bras with good support, socks and underwear. If you’re planning on breastfeeding, it helps to have sleepwear with front closures.
- Toiletry items — We provide basic items such as soap, toothpaste and shampoo. If you need other items or special brands, make sure you bring them.
- Contacts Lenses — If you wear contacts, pack a case with supplies. You may find your glasses are more comfortable during labor and delivery.
- Something to keep your hair out of your eyes such as headbands or barrettes.
- One or two personal items such as your own pillow, a favorite CD or book.
- Clothing for the trip home. Maternity clothes are probably the best along with flat shoes.
- (Bring only labor supplies to Labor and Delivery. The rest of your items can be brought to your room after delivery.)
Pack Baby’s Hospital Bag
- Install infant car seat
- Prewashed clothing, hats and blankets that are weather-appropriate
- Bootie socks for hands and feet
- Car window shade for sun protection
Pack Support Person’s Hospital Bag
- Change of comfortable clothing
- Toiletry items
- Still or video camera with film and batteries
- Watch with a second hand (for timing contractions)
- Tennis balls for massaging your back
- Box for bringing home gifts and flowers
- Snacks and beverages
- A small amount of cash for meals and coins for vending machines
- List of people and their numbers to call with baby news
- Magazines, books or other reading materials
- Hard candy to give to the mother during labor