Midwive-Attended Births & Well Care
Expecting mothers and local women can opt for care from Certified Nurse Midwives (CNMs) — licensed medical professionals experienced in prenatal, postpartum, gynecological, childbirth and newborn care — during pregnancy and after.
Lexington Medical Center is the only Midlands hospital offering this level of care to patients. Care may be provided regardless of ability to pay.
A Certified Nurse Midwive:
- Is a Registered Nurse (RN), nationally certified as a professional health care provider, who has met the strict requirements of the American College of Nurse Midwives as well as the Nurse Practice Act in South Carolina.
- Works with you throughout your entire pregnancy, including labor and delivery.
- Can provide primary care to women from adolescence through menopause.
- Works to provide the preferred birth experience while doing what’s best to ensure a safe delivery and to maintain mom’s health.
- Conducts prenatal screenings and advises steps for a safe, healthy pregnancy.
- Collaborates with and refers patients to obstetricians as needed.
- Prescribes medications including antibiotics, and hormone replacement and birth control pills.